Friday, August 22, 2014

4 Myths About "Real-Life" Debunked

In case my lack of posts has been any indication, the post-collegiate life has been kicking my behind. This isn’t to say that I haven’t been keeping up and dealing a blow right back at it, but casual blogging hasn’t fit into my schedule quite as seamlessly as it used to. But, after just over two months of bringing home the bacon, I was finally inspired enough to write a new post: debunking after-school myths that I’ve thus far discovered to be abhorrently false.


1. You won’t get a job unless you have connections.
In my last semester of school, I reached out to “connections” I hadn’t spoken to since middle school, because that’s how you get a job, right? WRONG! Of all the calls I made, emails I sent, casual lunches I sat through and informal interviews I prepared for, the job I ended up with came to me through a random job site my mom happened to be on that day. Don’t keep yourself from applying for a job you want just because someone says you won’t get it.

2. You’ll actually have enough money to do the things you want.
Unless you’re a genius or just got access to your trust fund, you’re not going to be making as much money as you thought you were. Maybe if you save every month for a year, you can afford a vacation to your grandma’s house.

3. Going out during the week is over.
After leaving school, not only are you still allowed (and often encouraged) to go out during the week, but oftentimes, if you’re lucky, your company will also pay for said drinks. Whether it’s office parties, group happy hours, or just some after-work drinks, you won’t have to worry about mourning the loss of your collegiate drinking habits.

4. You finally have weekends to yourself.
Even though no homework is the best thing that’s happened to me since Santa Clause himself, taking it out of the equation definitely hasn’t freed up my weekends.

When you work from 9-6, you run out of time for things like grocery shopping, doctor’s appointments, or even just depositing that hard-earned paycheck. Weekends are for catching up on all the chores you have no time to do when you’re working all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment