Sunday, January 5, 2014

5 Things I'd Rather Do Than Go Outside

Credit: www.acuteday.com
I don’t really do cold. My father used to laugh at me when I told him I wanted to get away from frigid Colorado by moving to New York City. Guess what? It’s just as cold AND I actually have to leave my warm house and walk everywhere. Maybe you’re a fan of Jack Frost, love heading out to the ski slopes or just bundling up in your cute sweater. Good for you. But that’s not me. So when the weekend weather drives me back under my covers and makes me about as excited to go outside as I would be to chew off my own arm, I’ve got to get creative with my time.

      1.    Hulu Catch-up Marathon: Let’s face it; when you have a life, you don’t get to stay up to date on your favorite TV shows. Take the morning while you try to convince yourself that clothes other than your pajamas might be worth a try to catch up on all the shows you’ve missed.

      2.    Actually organize your stuff: I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not always as clean as I’d like to be. I think the floor is a perfectly good storage location. But while you’re inside all day, tackle a “problem area” in your home and get crafty. Use an old glass to hold your toothbrush and toothpaste, a magazine holder for your blow-dryer and hairbrush; whatever you need to do to put things in a place you’ll actually find them later.

      3.    Cook for the week: If you’ve got a lifestyle that permits you to spend an hour every night making some sort of gourmet meal even Pinterest would envy, I’m jealous of you. But most of us don’t. And if you’re like me, when you come home from a long day of class or work, the last thing you want to do is slave away in front of the stove for an hour. You want food. Now. So cook some chili you can freeze in Tupperware or bake chicken that you can cut into strips for sandwiches. When you’ve got extra time, make the meals you wish you had time to during the week.

      4.    Start a project: Maybe you’re a “vision boarder” or a scrap-booker. Me? I’m a knitter. Chances are good that you haven’t had a day to work on any of that recently (I’ve been knitting the same blanket since freshman year). Just sit down and do it. Pick a project for the day and do something that makes you happy (bonus points if you can do it AND have your Hulu Catch-up Marathon).


      5.    Don’t do anything: If going outside requires the same gear as adventuring in the Arctic tundra, I’d literally rather do absolutely nothing than hike through the snow. But let’s be honest; how many days do you have to sit around and just do nothing? Not many. And as a student about to enter the workforce, these days will soon be few and far between for me. When you have a day where nothing calls you out of the house, relish in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment