Monday, April 16, 2012

Running Rampant

 
     I don't know how many of you have ever run a long-distance race. No judgement if you haven't. When I ask people if they've ever run a half marathon, the most common answer is somewhere between a guffah and a pitiful whimper at the thought. I get it. Running far enough to make you either throw up or die isn't for everyone. But for me, it's the best way to relax, to take some time to yourself and just be.
     For those of you who haven't run a long distance race, it goes something like this: your brain and body somehow fit a lifetime of emotions and feelings into a span of around 2 hours. How do I mean? Here's a brief play-by-play of my half marathon inner-dialogue that happened this Sunday:

Starting Line: "Alright, Nicole. You can do this. This is what you've been training for."

Gun goes off: "Holy crap, I'm going to puke. Did I put N*ggas in Paris on this playlist? I need my pump-up jam STAT."

Mile 3: "Man, I'm feeling good. This isn't so bad. Only 10 more miles to go."

Mile 3.1: "Oh my god, there's 10 miles to go. I'm hyperventilating! It's freakin' hot out here! God save me!"

Mile 4: "Holy crap, I'm like a frickin SuperWoman. My legs are like jelly. This is so sweet!"

Mile 8:"Hey! I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my number, so call me maybe."

Mile 9: "Where the f*** did this hill come from? This hill definitely wasn't here on the first loop. Oh my god, I'm losing it. This is the end! Goodbye cruel world!"

Mile 11: "And all the other boys try and chase me, but here's my number, so call me maybe."

Mile 12: "Was everyone else always going this fast? What's the hurry, woman in the purple top? The finish line ain't going anywhere! Geeze, some people..."

Mile 13: "This is it, there's the finish line! I made it! I did it! I can't believe it!"

Finish Line: "This is amazing! I feel fantastic, I feel spectacular, I feel...nauseous. Oh great, NOW N*ggas in Paris plays."

No comments:

Post a Comment